Common Eviction Questions and Answers

1. My tenant deposited some or all of the rent owed in my bank account after I filed the eviction. What should I do?

Generally, you cannot proceed with the eviction if you decide to keep the money that has been deposited. If you want to proceed with the eviction, you should write a letter to the tenant notifying the tenant that you are not accepting the rent and that you are returning the rent now or will be returning it at the hearing. Keep a copy of the letter to show the magistrate. If you return the rent with the letter, you will want to send it in a way that you can track delivery.